Wednesday 6 April 2011

Diary Entry 1

 
I have written two diary entries of my great, great, great, great grandmother and her journey to Australia. I have gathered facts from her trip and put together what I thought it would have been like.
 
When my husband got offered the job in Australia I was happy for him. It was his dream job and the pay was great but sometimes I wish that I had a say in these things. Leaving England would be leaving all that I knew. I would have to start a fresh in a land that I knew nothing about except from what I had read and had been told. I would have to leave my eldest children and not seeing their faces everyday would make my life much harder than it should be. Of course I will still have my younger children and my husband but I cannot stand the thought of all of us being separated. I am scared to move to another country. It is far away and we will be there until we can earn enough money to go back to England.

I am going to miss England. I am going to miss the smell of the fresh grass and the sound of birds chirping. I have no idea what Australia will look like but I can only imagine it as a whole lot of dirt. I am going to miss the green meadows and playing with the children outdoors when the sun shines. But as much as I am going to miss my home I know that I must embrace this new land for my husband, my children and myself.

While I am writing this we are sitting near the ship that will become my home over the next couple of months. My family and I are all sitting nervously while we await the new chapter of our lives. Waiting with us is Thomas, Catherine and David. We are all silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment