Tuesday 5 April 2011

Interview with my mother, Janelle

My mum, Janelle agreed to let me do an interview with her about her great, great, great grandfather, Thomas Yates. Unfortunately this video only works on certain computers so if you are one of the unlucky few that can't enjoy the interview then I have written the dialog out for you. The video tells the story of the first person from our family to immigrate to Australia. The video was made on Tuesday the 5th of April.   

This is the dialog that my mum spoke during the video.
The first person from my family to migrate to Australia was my great, great, great grandfather, Thomas Yates. Thomas and his wife, Mary Ann and his children Josiah, Samuel, Elizabeth and John came from Buckinghamshire, England and migrated to Australia in 1844. My family came to Australia because they got their tickets for free. They arrived in Port Phillip Bay on the 22nd of September 1844 on a ship called The Abberton. In order to come to Australia the Yates family had help from the government. Thomas and Mary Ann left their older children in England with their partners. In 1844 when they arrived in Melbourne, many events were happening around the world. One such event was Joseph Smith Jr. being elected fr president of the United States and then being shot. I think my great, great, great grandfather would have felt sad and lonely when he came to Australia but also excited about the new experience. Thank-you.

This photo is of my mum and dad on Christmas day 2010. This was taken at my grandfathers house who is the great, great grandson of Thomas Yates.  

1 comment:

  1. Hello Izzy I am also researching my Yates family and would love to get in contact with you. My line follows all of the eldest male children named Thomas all the way to my grandfather. my email is sma28584@bigpond.net.au I would really love to chat about the family. this blog stuff is a bit above me but what you have put here is truly amazing.
    Regards
    Steven Yates

    ReplyDelete